[TxMt] Growl instead of tool tips

Fred B. fredb7 at starflam.com
Thu Mar 2 19:23:42 UTC 2006

On 02 Mar 2006, at 14:11, Allan Odgaard wrote:

> On 1/3/2006, at 17:03, Fred B. wrote:
>
>> 1) How can I catch the output of svn commands?
>
> Currently not really possible w/o editing them. But we could work
> in e.g. a bash (or Ruby) function into the command init which we
> use for “status information”, and that functcion could optionally
> be sourced from a location in ~ -- that way, the user would be able
> to provide his own status information hooks.

I was asking how to edit the command to catch the output, in fact. ;)
I tried but never found how to do it.

> But I am not entirely sure what the best approach is here.
>
>> 2) More generally, wouldn't it be nice to add Growl to the output
>> options? What do you think Allan?
>
> I am not really liking that -- Growl is an optional install, so not
> all will have it, meaning that TM shoukd probably hide the option,
> when Growl isn’t installed, and have commands fall back to tool tip
> output or similar.
>
> If that becomes the case, I would much rather see that handled
> entirely as a bash (or Ruby) function, which commands then make use
> of, as that is more extensible and (to me) appears less hardcoded.

That won't make much difference to me. I'd be happy with any way to
use Growl...
Another option could be to install Growl with TM (Adium X does this I
think), but I understand that you don't like that.

> As for tool tips, I think the suggestions (from Brad) about a)
> ignoring mouse movement e.g. for the first 1-2 seconds, and/or b)
> require a little more mousing for it to hide, would be nice
> improvements.

That would help. But I'd still prefer Growl. ;) It's much more
beautiful and configurable + I it's nice to have a central
notification system.

Thanks for you answer.

--
Fred