[TxMt] Persistent Includes?

csilver_junk at mac.com csilver_junk at mac.com
Thu Mar 2 14:30:26 UTC 2006

Hello,

I've been a lurking member of this list for some time, but this is my
first attempt at posting. I've been trying out TextMate in demo mode
and plan to buy it because it's nearly perfect for the way I work,
but I have a couple questions I'm hoping somebody could clear up for me.

I'm not a programmer, so please forgive me if my questions seem
somewhat elementary. I do, however, use the Terminal quite often for
shell commands, and I understand PHP well enough to write code for my
own purposes. I prefer coding my web pages by hand, and I'm fluent in
XHTML and CSS and competent in XSLT. I'm a bit anal about clean
coding, usability, and accessibility (both for the end user and for
me when writing my pages). For these reasons among others, I've been
disappointed by virtually all of the website generation applications
and/or scripts I've tried. It seems they require lots of convoluted
configuration that just gets in my way. Besides, I'd rather just do
it all myself with flat text files, using scripting just to generate
the headers, footers, navigation, etc.

I'm not necessarily concerned with TextMate's ability to do the many
super-complicated things it obviously can do, as I probably won't use
most of it myself. However, I'm wondering if it has a feature similar
to the Persistent Includes available in BBEdit. I have examined the
manual and read about how to use snippets, templates, commands, and
the like, and I understand how these could be used to make my life
easier. The problem is that I haven't figured out if there's a way to
re-parse an entire project or certain files within a project after
I've made changes that will affect the output.

For instance, if I've used a script to output links to all the files
contained in the directory (as a navigation menu of sorts) but later
add more files to that same directory, I'd like to be able to re-
generate the entire site so that those new files show up in the menu.
Likewise, if I've generated prev/next links to other files in the
same directory, I'd like to have them updated without having to
manually type the new hyperlinks into each and every file of the
site. I know I could use PHP or server-side includes or something
similar (and I have written a simple php function to do just that),
but I'd really like to generate static web pages because having
dynamic pages online really isn't necessary for what I'm doing (also,
I can upload the same files both to .Mac and to my virtual host, for
example).

If nothing resembling Persistent Includes is available in TextMate,
another viable option would be to auto-generate the output of an
entire project but save it to a new directory on my system using the
same hierarchy of the original project. That way, I can simply re-
generate it whenever I need to. In fact, that would probably be a
simpler solution than the Persistent Includes idea, but of course you
all probably know much more about how to efficiently accomplish this
than I do. Also, if anyone could point me in the direction of a good
streamlined tutorial on how to use shell scripts in an environment
such as TextMate, perhaps I can figure it out on my own. The TextMate
manual is nice, but something more tutorial-like would help a lot.

Sorry for the long post - it actually started out longer with more
details about my background and what I do, but I figured people may
get annoyed, so I cut it. If I need to further clarify exactly what I
need to accomplish, please ask, but I suspect most of you are quite
familiar with BBEdit and know about how Persistent Includes work and
how they differ from regular Includes.

Thanks,

Crystal