[TxMt] How Long Must We Wait for CVS Support?

Allan Odgaard throw-away-1 at macromates.com
Tue Jun 27 16:29:24 UTC 2006

On 27/6/2006, at 17:33, Court K. wrote:

> [...] TextMate makes bold claims everywhere on the front page about
> being "the missing editor for the 21st century"

It’s a slogan, alright? And it’s The Missing Editor [for OS X].
Initially coined by DHH [1] after “the missing manuals” series and
from his, mine, and others desperate search for a powerful text
editor on OS X -- maybe the slogan is arrogant, but it’s how we felt.

The 21st century bit is “code & markup brought to the 21st century”
-- that’s a rather subjective statement, but TM has introduced a lot
of not-seen-before features, and it does cater to how people mix
code’n’markup in the 21st century, something which was at best rare
10 years ago, and something I don’t know of any other text editor
which does (thinking here mainly of the scope system inspired by CSS
selectors.)

But again, it’s just a slogan. And the slogan doesn’t mention
anything about SCM.

So can we put this to rest? I have already outlined future directions
[2], others have already told you that CVS is not their “killer
feature”, or it’s one of several -- no matter how many Fortune 500
companies, money, or slogans you put on the table, you are not going
to change the development plan, which, if you haven’t noticed,
already has SCM integration on the roadmap.

I do applaud you for posting job announcements/bounties though to get
your problem solved. As for buying the TextMate asset, I am not that
familiar with buyouts, but from what I am told about price estimates,
it would sell for something around $8 million -- yes, pretty absurd,
though I’d still not be interested in selling ;)

[1] http://www.loudthinking.com/arc/000270.html
[2] http://macromates.com/blog/archives/2006/02/15/future-directions/