[TxMt] How Long Must We Wait for CVS Support?

Michael A. Alderete lists-2003 at alderete.com
Mon Jun 26 06:12:43 UTC 2006

At 6:31 PM -0700 6/25/06, Court K. wrote:
>love textmate, it's always lacked in CVS support, you add features that
>[...]
>
>The one and only thing the developers should focus on right now is.
>CONNECTIVITY.
>who agrees with me? we your customers want CVS support, and SFTP, FTP, and
>networked support, and not through some third party client. You want to

I disagree with you. I am personally very happy with the current support in
TextMate for version control and remote editing. I use Subversion, and
don't see any value in moving my SFTP access from Interarchy to TextMate.

>I'm irritated that the only comments have been, about the actual
>comment an not the feature I'm requesting, or others have requested.

Hopefully I've satisfied your criteria of posting on the features you've
requested. I don't personally care about them, and those features being
added won't influence anyone I know, either.

>If textmate really isn't interested in becoming the missing editor
>for the 21st century, then I'm going to post, a $20,000 bounty for
>several x-code developers to make me a near duplicate of textmate
>with full cvs browser, subversion, browser, sftp, and network
>connectivity and give it for free.

Instead of posting a $20K bounty for a duplicate of TextMate (good luck
with that), perhaps you could find a version control consultant, and pay
them $2K (1/10th) to help you migrate from CVS to Subversion...?

It will probably read like it, but I'm really not trying to be an asshole
here. There are clearly features you would like to see, but they are not my
features, and you asked for others' perspectives.

And there are work-arounds (CVS->SVN) that will bring you many other
benefits besides integrated support in TextMate. I really do mean that as a
helpful suggestion.

Michael