[TxMt] Keeping TM up to date

Dr. Drang drdrang at gmail.com
Thu Jun 22 14:22:00 UTC 2006

I tried and failed to get the Blogging bundle working on either of my
two computers yesterday. It's not the failures themselves, though,
that's prompting my inquiry today, it's that the failures were
different. Different behavior and different error messages. I've run
into this in the past: a month or so ago, one of my TMs wouldn't
preview Markdown documents because it couldn't find SmartyPants.pl.
Apparently, my two copies of TM are out of sync in some way, despite
being the same version (1.5.2 [1112]).

I'd like to know the best way to resolve this difference. My guess is
that the simplest way is to

1. throw away my current copies of /Applications/TextMate;
2. throw away my current copies of Library/Application Support/TextMate;
3. install new TMs from a fresh download.

I do have certain snippets, macros, and commands of my own that I'd
like to retain, so I would *not* throw away ~/Library/Application
Support/TextMate. Does this procedure make sense?

I suspect that my out-of-sync issue came about because I used to use
SVN to get new bundles whenever I happened to think of it, but now I
use an automatic Software Update to Cutting Edge. For my own
edification: When TM does a Software Update, do the new bundles go
in /Applications/TextMate/Contents/SharedSupport/Bundles? If so, and
if I'm going to use automatic Software Update instead of SVN, is
there any need for /Library/Application Support/TextMate/Bundles?

--
Dr. Drang