[TxMt] snippets.el: a bow of deference?

Kamen Nedev k_men at gmx.net
Tue Jun 20 17:16:02 UTC 2006

Now, I'm finding it hard to determine which list is more dynamic,
which one his the highest traffic / better signal-to-noise ratio,
TextMate-users or emacs-devel....

But this really drew my attention:

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/rails.el

The Emacs rails elisp package includes, quote, "TextMate-like
snippets (snippets.el)"...

There's two conclusions I draw here:

1. Emacs, as the multi-headed, universally-powerful, endlessly-
extensible, despairingly-complex beast of an editor that it is, is
adapting, no doubt successfully, to the agile approach to Rails
programming. And "that screencast" must have had an impact.

2. TextMate is evolving beyond its niche - when a top hacker's tool
like Emacs emulates one of your features, this is a sign that you're
doing something right. So congratulations to Allan and to everybody
on this list! Emulation is the best possible display of respect.

Another topic which has been cropping up lately, and which you no
doubt have thought about it (somewhere in the back of your brains,
when not too busy hacking at this or that bundle) is the following:
How can a resolutely closed-source application like TM attract such
an open-source-like community environment? Does it have anything to
do with software architecture (a closed framework with an open
approach to extensibility through bundles), or with Allan's social
skills?

I suppose one day we'll be talking about this here on the list, once
TextMate moves ahead a couple of steps more and becomes *the* Mac
editor.

Just my couple of hundred euros.

Best,

Kamen