[TxMt] Bundle items, Unicode & SVN

thomas Aylott thomas.42 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 11 18:58:01 UTC 2006

On Jun 11, 2006, at 9:58 AM, Allan Odgaard wrote:
> On 11/6/2006, at 15:47, thomas Aylott wrote:
>
>>> I.e. works fine.
>> I'm happy for you.
>> But that still doesn't help me.
>> If 1.3.1 fixes it then that's great, but it doesn't help me share
>> this stuff. People aren't go to bother upping to the latest point
>> point release just to use by bundles.
>
>    % ls -l `which svn`
>    -rwxr-xr-x   2 root  admin  323916 May 13  2005 /opt/local/bin/svn
>
> So I installed this more than a year ago. Maybe it only is 1.3.0, I
> couldn’t find an option to make the svn executable itself give the
> version number.
>
> If 1.3.1 “fixes” this, then clearly 1.3.0 had a bug, and TM
> shouldn’t be changed to cater to a bug in svn which was fixed more
> than a year ago.
>
> But I don’t think this really is a bug, I would suspect this is
> something else. And as the problem is with a tab character, then it
> is not clear what exactly the “workaround” in TM should be, i.e.
> how many other ASCII characters could trigger this?

>> [...]
>> When trying to checkout to my dreamhost server, i get:
>> svn: Can't recode string
>
> Did you set LC_CTYPE to utf-8? And is this a checkout of http://
> textmate.svn.subtlegradient.com/?
>
> I tried to checkout this to both a BSD and a Linux server, both
> worked w/o problems (revision 130.)

Setting LC_CTYPE fixed my checkout to dreamhost. Thanks!
But I still have the tab character problem.

>> I still think it would be best to save the file names to be
>> compatible with lowest common denominator. It doesn't even matter
>> what the file names are since the real full name is stored in the
>> thing itself.
>
> But I need to know what lowest common denominator is -- that a tab
> character is excluded from this set, indicates that ASCII is not
> the lowest common denominator.

I would assume that no ascii control characters should be used in
file names.
http://www.evergreen.edu/biophysics/technotes/program/ascii_ctrl.htm

Regular ascii is one thing but tabs, line feeds and the Backspace
character for example, might cause a problem under some
circumstances, despite all being ascii characters.

I come from an old MS-DOS background, so anything other than [-_a-zA-
Z0-9\.] seems a strange thing to have in a file name. But that's just
me i suppose.

Now that i know that the checkout problem way totally my own
stupidity/laziness maybe we should just limit the use of ascii
control characters in file names? Or i'll just rename them myself and
shut up about it.

thomas Aylott—subtleGradient