[TxMt] Bundle items, Unicode & SVN

thomas Aylott thomas.42 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 20:37:51 UTC 2006

On Jun 7, 2006, at 4:27 PM, Allan Odgaard wrote:
> On 7/6/2006, at 13:38, thomas Aylott wrote:
>
>> Using crazy characters in the names can potentially upset subversion.
> It can? This is with LC_CTYPE set correctly? How does the problems
> manifest themselves?
> We do use crazy glyphs in the default bundle items.

The only problem i've noticed with svn is the tab character. I've
been naming a lot of stuff with tabs to line everything up nicely.

>> and since my svn server runs on a linux box, it can get even more
>> upset when i try to do a checkout there.
> hmm… I do not know what the de facto encoding for Linux file
> systems are. I could imagine that there is still a lot of stuff
> stuck with latin-1 or just “8 bit clean, but let’s show it as ASCII.”

I use dreamhost. I'm not sure how they configure everything. I wanted
to add a subversion hook to do a checkout and then tar everything on
commit. I'm a fan of the ellipsis (…)

>> SO
>> Can we change the way it makes the actual file system file names to
>> not use crazy characters even though they are in the names of
>> bundle items themselves?
> I actually did consider to do ASCII transliteration, because of all
> those who do a svn checkout w/o reading all the steps first ;) but
> then I also think that it’s a shame to cater to the common
> denominator, when Apple actually made our file system work with all
> unicode code points!
>
>> Personally, i think it should be the default behavior, but it
>> could just as easily be done as a command.
> I could maybe do it as a hidden option -- no sane Mac system should
> give a problem with this.

Works for me ;)

thomas Aylott—subtleGradient