[TxMt] Strange selection & right-click behavior

Oliver Taylor oliver at ollieman.net
Tue Jun 6 22:55:33 UTC 2006

I noticed that when something is selected in TextMate and you right-
click *anywhere* in the document the pop-up menu contains items
referring to the selection (filer thru command, etc.). This strikes
me as odd because it's not how the rest of the OS behaves.

Everywhere else (that I know of) re-focuses the selection depending
on where you right-click. If you right-click in the existing
selection you are shown options for that selection, but if you right-
click outside the current selection the selection re-focuses and
moves to the word that was clicked on.

While this not really a big deal, it's caused me some confusion when
trying to correct spelling when some other bit of text is selected.
I've even gone so far as to unconsciously make sure to always select
the word I'm trying to spell-check.

I personally would prefer if the behavior was in-line with the rest
of the OS, but I could imagine there would be some cases when this is
not desirable.

Was this a design choice? What are the benefits of this?

—oliver