[TxMt] Recovering File Lost During TextMate Crash

Allan Odgaard throw-away-1 at macromates.com
Fri Jul 28 14:49:35 UTC 2006

On 28/7/2006, at 4:41, justbn wrote:

> Is there anyway to recover a file lost when TextMate crashed?

No, sorry. This is only stored in memory until you save.

> I was submitting a post using the blogging bundle.  When it asked
> for the name of the post, I tried to scroll up in the document to
> see my paragraph.  After that, TextMate would not respond at all.
> I could not get back to that dialog box or access the document.

In the future if this happens to you or anyone else, the easiest is
to minimize the TextMate document windows to get to the (blocking)
dialog.

The alternative would be to kill the command with ⌘. or ⌃C (as
haris suggested.)

> Since I had just copied all the text, I thought it was safe to Force
> Quit TextMate [...]

It is not -- TM only tells the system that it has contents for the
clipboard, it doesn’t actually store anything. When another
application needs the text, it will ask TextMate for it, or if
TextMate is closed, the system will ask for a copy before TextMate
quits entirely.

Selecting Force Quit will bypass that latter process.