[TxMt] Making prototypes $ easier to type

thomas Aylott thomas.42 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 15 15:31:59 UTC 2006

On Jul 15, 2006, at 4:36 AM, Andreas Wahlin wrote:

> Sorry about the subject.
> The thing is, I type $('') quite a lot, so much that even a tab-
> trigger isn't ideal. I'd like to have a key-trigger of $ to just
> activate the thing. The dealbreaker though is that I also use $$
> sometimes, and of course an american might use $ for some other
> reasons.
> So I wonder, can you have some "smart" entering here, like the
> parentheses in a way.
> The behaviour I'd like is that if I just type $, it will expand to $
> ('$1')$0 (shorthand snippet syntax), but if I hit delete directly
> after typing $, it will revert the thing to a simple $-character.
> Hope I'm making myself clear :)
>
> btw, Martin Ström, this could be integrated into your new prototype/
> scriptaculous bundle ˆ_ˆ
>
> Andreas

I would just assign the snippet the shortcut ⌥$ (option-shift-4)
That's only an extra modifier to hold down occasionally instead of a
whole extra key to type.
And then you're done and can get back to work. ;)

I have a bunch of Smart Smart Typing Pairs that are basically just a
snippet like
$3"${1:$TM_SELECTED_TEXT}"$2$0
bound to ⌥( ⌥{ ⌥" ⌥' etc...
Sometimes you want to wrap something in quotes and brackets at the
same time without reselecting stuff.

$("${1:$TM_SELECTED_TEXT}")$0
bound to ⌥$ should be good enough

thomas Aylott—subtleGradient