[TxMt] [OT] DejaVu: an improved Bitstream Vera

John Labovitz johnl at johnlabovitz.com
Tue Jul 11 15:05:26 UTC 2006

I know I got turned onto the wonderful Vera monospaced font through
this list, so I thought folks might be interested that there's an
effort to greatly improve Vera.

Vera's an open source font, but is apparently not maintained by
Bitstream.  So it's been forked as Deja Vu.  From glancing at the
project's history page, and playing around with it a bit, it seems
every bit as good as Vera, and has far better international support
-- I noticed less-common diacriticals and Cyrillic glyphs, to start,
and it seems there are many more.  They are intent on making it a
full Unicode font.

More info here:

	http://dejavu.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Although most of the installation instructions seem complicated, for
us OS X users it's easy: just download the zip file, and add the .ttf
fonts to your system.

--John