[TxMt] problems with large text files

Allan Odgaard throw-away-1 at macromates.com
Tue Jan 24 15:55:12 UTC 2006

On 24/1/2006, at 15:01, Christof Janssen wrote:

> [...] According to the terminal command wc (wordcount), the file
> that I want to open contains 280 983 978 characters [...] TextMate,
> however, takes about 10 s on my 1.5 GHz G4 PB (2 GB Ram), then it
> unexpectedly quits without actually displaying the file. Can/
> Shouldn't I expect TextMate to work with files this large ? There
> appears to be a problem with memory allocation.

Currently TM uses utf-16 internally, so your file will take up 536 MB
of RAM. But since I use an STL vector that grows exponentially
(iirc), the last allocation will be for the lowest power of 2 which
is higher than 536 MB (which is 1 GB), and that allocation (judging
from your console log) fails.

So in short, it doesn't work.

I do have plans about using utf-8 internally and switch to disk-
mapping for huge files, but this is currently just some far away pipe-
dreams, as the focus currently is on editing “experience” more than
(border case) performance improvements.