[TxMt] Textmate/TeXShop-Interaction

Matthias Damm textmate at macpla.net
Tue Jan 10 17:38:49 UTC 2006

Hello everybody,

I have been trying Textmate for a couple of days now and am quite
stunned -- it really has improved greatly compared to an older
version I had tried before.
It seems to have most of the key features I am missing in TeXShop for
writing my Ph.D. dissertation (like tabs and code folding), so I am
seriously considering switching.

Let me ask one question about using it for LaTeX however:

I would prefer to keep TeXShop to control the LaTeX processing rather
than Textmate's own processing since I have some .engine file (i.e.
scripts that are started form within TeXShop) I would like to keep to
perform some specific tasks.

Of course I can simply set TeXShop to "external editor", open my
main .tex file there and process it, but this is not so nice because
of two reasons:
- You have to switch applications. Not a big deal, but pressing a
shortcut from within Textmate was nicer.
- Syncing does not work. I suppose TeXShop would have to provide a
feature to call an external editor and jump to a defined line, just
like in TeXniscope (where it works fine).

Is there any chance that there will be a solution in the feature that
would allow Textmate so tell TeXShop to begin the TeX processing
(with a given .engine used), and that would allow syncing?
Has there been a feature request for TeXShop already to implement the
needed features?

Or am I simply missing something?

Thanks in advance,
best

Matthias

--
Matthias Damm
mad at macpla.net
PGP key: http://macpla.net/MatthiasDamm.asc
PGP fingerprint: CED3 6074 7F7D 3148 C6F3  DFF2 05FF 3A0B 0D12 4D41