[TxMt] Slow bundle commands

Trevor Harmon trevor at vocaro.com
Tue Jan 10 09:21:40 UTC 2006

On Jan 9, 2006, at 3:23 AM, Sune Foldager wrote:

>> If I run top while TextMate is beachballing, I notice that bash is
>> consuming all available CPU cycles. Could there be something wrong
>> with my bash configuration? (I realize that TextMate is probably
>> just running some UNIX commands on top of bash to do the bundle
>> command, but still... 15 seconds of 100% CPU activity just to
>> duplicate a selected line? That can't be right.) Does everyone
>> suffer through this, or only me?
>
> The way bash invoked means that (unless you changed something) it
> will emulate a login-shell and thus source the global profile
> followed by the first of .bash_profile, .bash_login or .profile in
> your homedir.

Hmm... I have Fink, and it installs an init.sh script that gets
called by /etc/profile, so it runs every time a new shell is created.
Perhaps that's the source of the problem. Any Fink users out there?

Still, I can't imagine what in init.sh would cause such a slowdown.
Normally bash starts up (within Terminal) in a couple of seconds. But
I wonder... Fink programs override the default ones, so perhaps I've
installed a program that happens to be much slower (due to bugs) than
the one it replaces. Just brainstorming here...

Trevor