[TxMt] Reformat paragraph and the LaTeX mode

Charilaos Skiadas cskiadas at uchicago.edu
Mon Jan 9 14:16:47 UTC 2006

Marco,
On Jan 9, 2006, at 3:59 AM, Marco Kuhlmann wrote:

>     Thanks, Haris, for your reply.
>
> Am 09.01.2006 um 00:30 schrieb Charilaos Skiadas:
>
> No, tidy does not really do what I want to achieve here.  I also
> must admit that the LaTeX bundle's authors' idea of tidyness does
> not really match mine ... ;-)

I think Eric Hsu is responsible for the perl script used, and he
seems to have it pretty well documented. It resides in Library/
Application Support/TextMate/Bundles/Latex.tmbundle/Support/bin
so you could try to toggle it to suit your purposes, it does a lot of
stuff that most some people might not like I guess. He is in the
mailing list I think, so he might add his input when he gets a
chance. I personally have never used the script.

> Reformat Paragraph is really close to what I want, and in fact
> would be exactly what I want, if a paragraph would indeed be a
> logical LaTeX paragraph (rather than a textual paragraph) for
> Textmate.  (The command even has almost the same key binding as in
> Emacs!)
>
> So do I get you right that it is not possible for a language
> definition to specify what it counts as a paragraph?

That is correct, to the best of my knowledge.
You could ask it as a feature request, though it will probably have
to wait until 2.0 at least.

In the meantime, it would be nice to enhance the tidy script to make
it more customizable, maybe, and try to create a "reformat paragraph"
script in the bundle. Though for that, enough of us would have to
agree on what constitutes a paragraph. :)
If you are familiar with some scripting language, you could try
porting what emacs is doing... Though of course as things stand, that
would require rewriting the reformatting algorithm.

>     Thanks,
>     Marco

Haris