[TxMt] Slow bundle commands

Sune Foldager cryo at cyanite.org
Mon Jan 9 11:23:12 UTC 2006

On 09/01/2006, at 10:16, Trevor Harmon wrote:

> As a new user of TextMate, the only thing that has disappointed me
> is the incredible slowness of many bundle commands. For instance,
> if I hit ^⇧D to duplicate the current selection, TextMate
> beachballs (hangs) for about 15 seconds. This is quite surprising
> because my machine is fast enough (1.33GHz G4 with 1.2GB RAM) and
> my files are small (< 200 lines).

This is definately abnormal. While some stuff is slow on my machine
also (1GHz G4), with files of that size I haven't experienced that
kind of delay.

> If I run top while TextMate is beachballing, I notice that bash is
> consuming all available CPU cycles. Could there be something wrong
> with my bash configuration? (I realize that TextMate is probably
> just running some UNIX commands on top of bash to do the bundle
> command, but still... 15 seconds of 100% CPU activity just to
> duplicate a selected line? That can't be right.) Does everyone
> suffer through this, or only me?

The way bash invoked means that (unless you changed something) it
will emulate a login-shell and thus source the global profile
followed by the first of .bash_profile, .bash_login or .profile in
your homedir.

The duplicate line command consists of 'echo' and some bash variable
substitutions.

-- Sune.