[TxMt] Interminable slowness with TextMate over SMB

Andrew F andrew.071 at dysphoria.net
Tue Jan 3 13:41:12 UTC 2006

Hi,

I'm new here. Just started using TextMate, and I have a problem where it
is freezing for up to minutes at a time.

I’ve been using it to work from home. Whereas in the office we use
Microsoft Developer Studio (on Windows), that happens to be a bastard of
a slug of a text editor over a Remote Desktop connection, so I have
connected to my Windows file share over SMB over my VPN, and set up a
TextMate ‘project’ with all my files. (I compile remotely, over the
remote desktop connection, or via Ssh.)

Now TextMate is a lovely editor, and it didn’t take much effort to have
it syntax-highlighting C# code. Only one problem with the otherwise
(almost) perfect setup: when I have the project loaded into TextMate
(600-odd files), when I change focus to another application, then focus
again on TextMate, TextMate hangs for at least 20 seconds. I presume
that this is something to do with it checking the files, because a local
project doesn't seem to have this problem.

Potentially it’s some kind of network timeout (though I checked my
various firewalls to see if some bits of the windows file sharing were
being blocked, and that doesn’t seem to be the case).

I know that SMB is a dog over a remote connection (I'm on 2Mbps ADSL,
and my office is 512kbps, I think), but this is almost unworkable,
especially when it decides to go slow and takes 90 seconds rather than
20 (it's somewhat unpredictable. I assume it’s dependant on network
conditions).

Does anybody have any ideas? Or should I report it as a bug? (Even if it
is a network problem, TextMate could presumably check the files in the
background, or at least provide progress feedback.) Has anyone else had
this problem?

Thanks,

–Andrewf