[TxMt] Automated way to keep SVN repository in sync with local files?

Trevor Harmon trevor at vocaro.com
Sun Feb 26 06:52:59 UTC 2006

On Feb 25, 2006, at 9:32 PM, Eric O'Brien wrote:

> I work as a "team" of one, so any rearrangements I make in my svn
> repository aren't going to disrupt anyone else's work.  It might
> well be that I should have a better idea of where I'm going (or
> where IT'S going) when I start a project, but that often isn't the
> case.
>
> I'm not afraid of the command line, but I rarely do much work there
> and don't come from a CLI background (unless you include my CP/M
> use of about 20 years ago!!).  So the comment "when you need to
> move or rename, doing so in Subversion isn't any more difficult
> than the Unix mv command" [Trevor Harmon, Feb 25, 2006] doesn't
> help me much.

Given the difficulty you're having, I don't see why you're so fixated
on Subversion when you're the only one accessing the repository. Why
not use a version-tracking backup utility like rdiff-backup? Then you
can just do:

rdiff-backup source destination

All of the changes (including moves and renames) will then be taken
care of automatically. It works over the Internet, and it can roll
back changes to any earlier date, just like Subversion.

You can install it from the unstable tree in Fink.

Trevor