[TxMt] Automated way to keep SVN repository in sync with local files?

Eric O'Brien ericob at possibilityengine.com
Sun Feb 26 05:32:28 UTC 2006

To reply to the original question ...

This is VERY MUCH the same situation I'm in and matches my feelings
on the matter.

I work as a "team" of one, so any rearrangements I make in my svn
repository aren't going to disrupt anyone else's work.  It might well
be that I should have a better idea of where I'm going (or where IT'S
going) when I start a project, but that often isn't the case.

I'm not afraid of the command line, but I rarely do much work there
and don't come from a CLI background (unless you include my CP/M use
of about 20 years ago!!).  So the comment "when you need to move or
rename, doing so in Subversion isn't any more difficult than the Unix
mv command" [Trevor Harmon, Feb 25, 2006] doesn't help me much.  I
don't routinely work at the command line, so I don't feel very
comfortable with mv and the like.  I'm OK with doing "svn update" or
"svn commit," (of course I can do those from within TextMate!).  But
for moving and renaming files I'd prefer to be able to use those
yummy GUI things "click and type" and "drag it where I want it."  :)

Also, when I do this type of "clean up" it isn't as simple as
renaming or moving just a single file or folder.  Instead, it's
usually a rather significant bit of reorganizing.  I find it far
easier to do this if I can refer to a visual representation of what
I'm doing.  What I'd *like* to be able to to do is reorganize my
subversion working copy visually and have the appropriate svn
commands executed automatically in the background, or in a "batch,"
after I was satisfied with what I'd done.

As an aside:  in a team environment it might be rather disruptive (!)
to have this sort of reorganization of the repository happen simply
because I changed things in my TextMate project drawer.

As I don't feel the need to rename and move files very often, I'd be
satisfied with using a separate (visual) svn client.  There are a
few, most of which are BADLY undercooked... most went right into the
trash after a 2 minute trial.  I don't have an opinion on this one yet:

SmartSVN [1].  (The "Professional" version only) appears to claim to
be able to let you move things visually and then it will do the
required svn work. "Smart Move (automatic detection of possibly moved
or renamed files)."  I can't test this at the moment because I have
my subversion repository on my local hard drive (I'm not using a
server), and SmartSVN doesn't support the file:// protocol (ya... how
"smart" is that?).  A price of 49 USD / 41 EUR seems a bit steep
simply to gain this convenience.

Then there is "scplugin"  that supposedly integrates SVN activity
into the Mac OS X Finder [2] but work on this appears to have been
abandon in December 2004 (yes, that's a 14 months ago).  For that
matter, the book [3] doesn't appear to be in active development
either.  The site offers "1.1 final" and "1.2, nightly build" but the
current version of subversion is 1.3 (released in January 2006).  I
don't know how much has changed, but the book looks to be,
technically, two versions out of date.  :(

Back to the main point... does anyone have a visual ("GUI") solution
to this challenge?

[1] <http://www.smartsvn.com/smartsvn/features.jsp>
[2] <http://scplugin.tigris.org/>
[3] <http://svnbook.red-bean.com/>