[off-topic] Re: [TxMt] Automated way to keep SVN repository in sync with local files?

Sami Samhuri sjs at uvic.ca
Sat Feb 25 20:14:58 UTC 2006

On 25-Feb-06, at 7:07 AM, Benoit Gagnon wrote:

> On Feb 25, 2006, at 3:55 AM, Eric Coleman wrote:
>
>> Not to hijack the thread or anything, but the way you formatted
>> your email, did you do that on your own?  I.e. the links.
>
> Oh, this is all manual work :) I got inspired by the Markdown
> syntax, DaringFireball website and other messages from this very
> list, but I believe it is a pretty common practice. I think it's a
> great presentational technique both for the writer and the reader.
> I will generally put all the [x] marks in the text as I write, then
> go on a quest to actually fetch the URLs for those links. ...

I think I first noticed this notation in the Gentoo Linux weekly
newsletter. My linux box has been neglected since I got my Mac, but I
used to use mutt[1] (console mail client) for reading mail. Mutt also
likes to KISS and pipes the messages to urlview[2] which is a small
app to show you a numbered list of all the links in the message and
launch your browser when you make selections. When the [xx] numbers
match up with urlview's numbers (that is, _every_ link has to be
numbered in the message) it makes it easy to find the link you want
to visit out of the 30+ links in the newsletter (type the link # and
enter). Seems to be a pretty useful convention. I have no clue where
it started though.

[1] http://www.mutt.org
[2] http://pdb.finkproject.org/pdb/package.php/urlview

--