[TxMt] Automated way to keep SVN repository in sync with local files?

Trevor Harmon trevor at vocaro.com
Sat Feb 25 17:27:25 UTC 2006

On Feb 25, 2006, at 5:39 AM, Sean Schertell wrote:

> How do you guys deal with the situation I described where the time
> comes when you need to move files around, rename stuff, combine
> some files, delete no longer used files etc. ?  How the heck do you
> guys keep your svn in sync?

I just do it manually from the command line. Adding and deleting is
pretty easy because SVN can handle recursion and wildcards. For
instance, if I want to delete an entire directory and all the shell
scripts in another, I can just do:

svn remove some-directory another-directory/*.sh

And if I want to see what files I need to add, I just do "svn status"
and look for question marks. (The svn:ignore property can help if you
find yourself distracted by persistent working copy files that don't
belong in the repo.)

Moving and renaming isn't quite as simple, but these tasks should be
fairly rare. If you find yourself doing lots of this, you probably
didn't plan out your design well enough beforehand. Still, when you
need to move or rename, doing so in Subversion isn't any more
difficult than the Unix mv command.

Trevor