[TxMt] UI suggestion for tabbed file names

Andrew Vit andrew at dihedral.ca
Thu Feb 23 20:40:00 UTC 2006

On Feb 22, 2006, at 22:16, Eric O'Brien wrote:

> One problem is that the "close" widget on the tabs is doing double
> duty by also indicating whether the file has been saved or not.
> That's "overloading an affordance" ... or something.  I think it's
> illegal!  ;)

Somehow this interface isn't a major concern for me since I know I
can always do Cmd-Opt-S to save all, so I don't consider it a
"critical" status indicator in the same sense as an airplane gauge.

I like your dashboard analogy, but a counter-argument would be that
stuffing too much status information into the tabs would also make
them look too cluttered and confusing, thus more likely to be
overlooked.

But since we're talking tabs, I'd like to see numbers on them when I
hold Cmd, to indicate the keyboard shortcut for jumping to them.
Beyond 5-6 it's hard to spot them at a glance and forces me to count
on my fingers. ;^)

--
Andrew Vit