[TxMt] Re: RFC: Command Output Options (was: Combining snippets and commands?)

Benjamin Jackson ben at incomumdesign.com
Thu Feb 23 04:07:43 UTC 2006

 > this would not allow for commands that take the whole document as
 > input and the current selection as output, and autocompletion
 > thingies wouldn't work _that_ good, so considering this I'm on +1 for
 > allan's proposal.

I think some minor changes to the wording of Allan's solution might
make it more readable. What about:

Output:  [ Discard      ]
          [ Text         ] and [ pop-up ]
          [ Snippet      ] and [ pop-up ]
          [ HTML         ]
          [ Tool Tip     ]
          [ New Document ]

And then the pop-up showing for the Text and Snippet output options
have the folowing options:

and [ Replace Input      ]
     [ Replace Selection  ]
     [ Replace Document   ]
     [ Insert After Caret ]

This version uses more [action verbs][1], which makes it read more
logically.

 > by the way, I'd like an option to show the output as a popup menu (or
 > something like that): this would perfectly suit autocompletion. think
 > about it, al.

I'll second that.

Nice ideas, Allan! Cheers,

Ben

[1]:
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/
OSXHIGuidelines/XHIGMenus/chapter_16_section_3.html#//apple_ref/doc/
uid/TP30000356-TPXREF117
Ben Jackson
Diretor de Desenvolvimento

ben at incomumdesign.com