[TxMt] UI suggestion for tabbed file names

Dave Baldwin dave.baldwin at 3dlabs.com
Wed Feb 22 14:01:39 UTC 2006

On 22 Feb 2006, at 13:32, Christopher Creutzig wrote:

> Dave Baldwin wrote:
>
>> I don't think the correspondence of dot and cross to edited and un-
>> edited is obvious or natural and it would be better to no show any
>
>  Actually, I think it's obvious, given that the red close button in
> all
> OS X apps behaves the same way.  (Except you only get the cross when
> moving the mouse pointer near it.)

i.e. the button is empty when there is nothing to do (to save your
work), but is marked always  when you need to do something.  It gains
a close symbol (cross) when you mouse near it (and you have noting to
do) to give some weak idea of what an arbitrary coloured button
does.  Plenty was written why this is poor UI design when OS X was
first released - beauty over function.

With TM the invisible button (holding the dot or cross) is marked
when you have nothing to do and when you have something to do.  When
you mouse close to the button it appears.

Anyhow my real point was you couldn't instantly see which files
needed saving without having to read along the tabs.  Try having a
dozen or so files open and the odd one or two dirty.  Using colour
and/or a symbol / no symbol to show this works much better than using
two symbols, one of which is always showing.

Dave.