[TxMt] regex question

Xavier Noria fxn at hashref.com
Tue Feb 21 10:42:34 UTC 2006

On Feb 21, 2006, at 11:30, Oliver Taylor wrote:

> I don't know where else to turn for help with regex,

There's freenode#regex.

> so I turn to you. Consider the following:
>
> ------------------------
> ONCE
> (twice)
> Three times a lady.
> Not as much as the Gambler.
> (This sucks)
> How would you know?
> ------------------------
>
> How do I match the 2nd line but not the 5th?
> How do I match the 6th, but not he 3rd?

What is different in each case? The presence of ONCE exactly in the
line before?

> P.S. Do you guys have any really good references for regex (aside
> from the manuel), where I can hunt down problems like this?

You could read the Perl tutorials, there's some Perl there of course,
but just a minimum:

     $ perldoc perlrequick
     $ perldoc perlretut

There's a handy quick reference as well (with some Perlisms):

     $ perldoc perlreref

I don't know whether TM supports the most "advanced" idioms, but in
any case it will help you to get started for sure.

-- fxn