[TxMt] alphabetized "Go To Symbol" search

Oliver Taylor oliver at ollieman.net
Mon Feb 20 21:20:32 UTC 2006

>> When searching in the "go to symbol" pop-up, I find that because
>> the search alphabetizes the results, it's very much the opposite
>> of useful.
>
> It shouldn’t alphabetize them, but instead rank them based on how
> good a candidate the match is for the search/filter string.
>
> For example if we have George Costanza and Charlie Sheen in the
> list, and enter CS, it will show both names (as both contain C and
> S), but it should show Charlie Sheen first, since CS is a “better”
> match for that, than it is for George Costanza.

Okay, that makes sense.

A ranked-order search result makes a lot of sense when the order of
symbols is unimportant and/or there are not enough identical results
to confuse the list. But when there are a lot (say, over 20) of
identical results, the placement in the document becomes very
important, in fact it becomes just as important as the match itself.

A simple way to achieve this is with a search result that also
outputs line-numbers... I know that would do the trick for me. Now
for a crappy mock-up! This is not the prefect example, but you get
the idea.