[TxMt] Javascript method snippet

Mike Ter Louw mterlo1 at uic.edu
Mon Feb 20 15:29:53 UTC 2006

Thanks, Allan!

Allan Odgaard wrote:
> I added the second version of the prototype snippet (but with open brace
> on a new line, to match the function snippet -- I don’t know if there’s
> a de-facto brace standard for JS!?!).

Like other C-like languages, I think it's mainly a matter of taste and
the uniformity of having them both the same is the important thing.

JavaScript is a little bit different in that the code has to be sent to
the client (typical use, not counting widgets et al.) before it can be
interpreted.  That being the case, you'll often see people reducing
variable names down to a single character in sufficiently encapsulated
code.  While descriptive names are usually preferred, you can usually
get away with it in JS.  That being said, having the brace not requiring
an extra linefeed can save you a few extra bytes in a long script.

But then, there are JavaScript compactors on the net that pretty much
eliminate whitespace entirely, so we come back to it just being a matter
of taste or going along with convention.

Mike