[TxMt] UI - redistributing the density

Kamen Nedev k_men at gmx.net
Wed Feb 15 22:39:14 UTC 2006

On 09/02/2006, at 7:55, Eric O'Brien wrote:

> "Density" is a very nice generic description of the problem!
>
> By the way, in the following, I don't at all mean to be harsh!
> Instead, I'd like to figure out how "what's in there" can be made
> even more visible, available and understandable... to get even more
> converts.  TextMate is a fabulous product and, rather then
> "upgrade" BBEdit, I recently purchased TextMate instead.
>

> Critique...
>
> The functionality and power of TextMate is unevenly distributed in
> its visual working space.  (Even more difficult, much of it is, in
> fact, NOT visible at all.)
>
> It is difficult to "discover" previously unknown functionality.  It
> is also difficult to RE-discover ("remember") previously discovered
> functionality.
>

> Furthermore, the way that "I" mentally "clump" functionality often
> is not the way it is clumped in TextMate.  For example... I
> remember that I can do something.  But is it a built-in feature, or
> in a macro, command or snippet?  (Oh! I just noticed:  apparently,
> the "gear" icon combines access to all three?)
>
> What was it called? ?    And, was it... THIS keyboard shortcut?
> YIKES!  Hmm... well, that's actually sort of interesting.  I wonder
> what I did?

I suppose it's all context-related. Am I cranking out Python code?
Check out the Python section.
LaTeX? Ditto. Am I working in ActionScript? Nope, I never do. As Tom
Christiansen put, us human beings, we're really great at context.

> If it's a built-in feature, is it under the "Edit" menu, or perhaps
> the "Text" menu?  If not found in the "Text" menu, maybe it's in
> the Automation > Replay Macro > Text menu.  OR, Automation > Insert
> Snippet > Text.  OR... Automation > Run Command > Text.  Or maybe
> the "gear" menu.  [Too bad my keyboard binding for that shortcut
> doesn't work!]  Oops, well I guess (think) not.  Hmm... maybe it's
> under the "Edit" menu?  ;)
>
> !!

Hmm, being more of a keyoboard-oriented user (I'm a Linux switcher) I
tend to use menus as cheat-sheets, not as actual command triggers. So
the Command-Esc thing works fine for me... Hit it, see what's
available, look-up the key combination... (and, well, make a mental
note of what you'd like to add to the command and snippets list).

So the position of the menu is not a problem for me. I like clean
interfaces (I hated the Emacs tool-bar).

> I have a horrible urge to shout for the inclusion of Toolbars
> (Multiple! and Fully Configurable! Of course.)  And Floating
> Palettes.  LOTS of floating palettes.  All, also (of course) Fully
> Configurable.  Lots of drag, drop, stretch and perforate.  And a
> Unified Keyboard-Shorcut/Keybinding Editing & debugging Panel.
> Also... well, Fully Configurable.
>

> OK, my tone is somewhat flippant.  But seriously, in TextMate there
> is "more than meets the eye."  How do we bring that to the surface
> and make it more coherent and accessible?  Without dynamiting the
> fish pond.
>
> By which I mean that implementing "A Palette for Every Function and
> a Function for Every Palette" (or something) will simply smother
> the existing interface.  Bringing "everything to the
> surface" (that's the dynamite in the fishpond) is not a good solution.
>
> Over-stuffed drop-down menus begat hierarchal menus.  Overstuffed
> hierarchal menus begat "tear off" menus (palettes).  Overstuffed
> palettes begat "tabbed" palettes.  Then the tabbed palettes grew
> their OWN hierarchal ("flyout") menus and I'm afraid we've come
> full circle!  I don't know where the heck "tool bars" and "gutter
> bars" got into the picture.  :)   Now we've got scrolling,
> collapsing sidebars (has anyone looked at Adobe Lightroom?)  And
> don't forget "twirl-down" menus.  Hierarchal, but instead of
> popping out, they reveal their contents (like the "reveal" triangle
> in the Mac Finder).  I'm skeptical that ANY of this makes
> functionality any more accessible or discoverable than if it was
> simply dumped into a gigantic "bubble" that users could simply re-
> arrange to their own liking.  Rather like a "desktop" in this case.
>
> Hmm!  Maybe we need a "Dashboard-like" feature!!  Press a button
> and your editing interface switches to a completely customizable
> "TextMate Dashboard" interface.  Users get to scatter WHATEVER they
> want anywhere on this alternative "desktop/control surface/utility
> panel/macro switchboard"... whatever you want to call it.  Why
> should "Preferences" or the bundle editor be constrained a dialog
> box?  Why not give it an entire new view into the application?
>
> Users can organize commands, macros, snippets ... WHATever, here in
> any way they like.  All the (and any of the) CLUTTER would (here)
> be constrained to the TextMate "Dashboard," leaving the editing
> interface sleek and tidy!  Oh!  I'm liking this.  Excuse me for a
> moment while I duck out and grab a patent or two.

You're describing  QuickSilver. QS rocks. Absolutely. I'm off to
their forums to demand a TextMate plugin. (Ouch, their site is
down... nevermind).