[TxMt] projects on remote servers

Eric O'Brien ericob at possibilityengine.com
Wed Feb 15 07:46:08 UTC 2006

One question I have is what you mean when you say you "have to work
off the server."  If this is a "security" concern, I think you're
already compromised... when you edit something in a window on your
machine, there is almost certainly a version of that file on your
hard drive, regardless of where you opened from (I'm thinking of temp
files).  If it's not a security concern, is it a version control
concern?

I also can't get a picture in my head of what's actually happening
when you "open all the files via FTP and then drag them to an empty
project..."  Have you mounted a remote directory on your desktop to
do this?

Enough questions.  Here's an approach I stuck together a few days ago
and it seems to be working.  Maybe it or something similar will work
for you.  I was inspired by all the talk of rsync, ssh and bundle
creating.  If you need to open arbitrary files from many different
remote locations, this probably wouldn't work very well, but for
editing a fairly stable collection of files that are in one location
-- a web site, for example ;)  -- I will never feel the need for
"TextMate over FTP" again!

The simple version:  I edit the files locally (on my hard drive) then
use rsync to synchronize a remote directory to my local working
directory.  Yes, this requires that you have the files on your local
hard drive, but they are there anyway (regardless of how briefly) if
you "edit by FTP."

Once you set up ssh keys correctly (discussed elsewhere) you can
avoid entering your password at each connection.

Using rsync frees you of trying to remember which of 30 or 130 files
you actually changed and should FTP back to the server.  One usually
gives up and just uploads them all, for safety's sake.  This can take
a long time.  I find I tend to use my rsync method pretty much like I
do for a "save" with a single file... except that it "saves,"
elsewhere, (the changes to) the entire project directory.

The fun part is that I also created a HTML bundle with the required
rsync command line in it, and now --from within TextMate-- at the
touch of a key the server files are updated to match my working files.

I have decided to keep the names of any of my TextMate project
folders and the remote server folders the same.  If I do this
consistently for every project I work on, I can just use the same
bundle, if I substitute ${TM_PROJECT_DIRECTORY##*/} in the path where
the project folder name would be.  (I don't know anything about
regex... I just happened to find this little bit if info in the
TextMate documentation!)

Furthermore, my local working project directory is also a subversion
working directory.  As I'm a "team" of one, and I'm using subversion
mostly as a "Project-Level Undo" that has a very long history stack.
It happens that my subversion repository is on the same computer as
my working copies, but I assume this whole idea would also work fine
with a remote repository and a group of authors/developers.

rsync has a handy switch (-C, --cvs-exclude) that skips copying of a
number of files you probably don't want to be synchronizing.  The
list includes the invisible svn "administrative directory" that's in
a working copy folder.  Also checked for files to exclude is a file
named .cvsignore, in your home directory.  The "ignore" file probably
doesn't exist.  You'd need to create it because you'll probably want
to add ".DS_Store" to the exclusion list!

(As I'm not really a command-line jockey, I may have made some
technical errors or just plain errors in thinking about this...
please clarify or correct, anyone!)

eo