[TxMt] Edit remote file via SSH

Allan Odgaard throw-away-1 at macromates.com
Tue Feb 14 09:15:38 UTC 2006

On 14/2/2006, at 9:54, Christopher Creutzig wrote:

> [...] I get “mate: failed to establish connection with TextMate”.
> Sounds like a reasonable security measure on Apples side not to
> allow programs started from remote to
> connect to those running locally, but ... is there a way to do it
> anyway? :-)

You can run mate successfully by going through osascript (the
connection restriction is enforced by Distributed Objects, I don't
really think it's intentional), e.g.:

    ssh simplit.com "osascript -e 'tell app \"Terminal\" to do shell
script \"mate\"'"

But to have it edit stdin (from ssh's POV), it gets more complex, e.g.:

    <file ssh simplit.com "cat >/tmp/dummy.txt; osascript -e 'tell
app \"Terminal\" to do shell script \"mate </tmp/dummy.txt\"'" >newfile