[TxMt] textmate + smb = kernal panic?

Allan Odgaard throw-away-1 at macromates.com
Tue Feb 14 03:01:07 UTC 2006

On 14/2/2006, at 3:35, d. vinay dixit wrote:

> this morning and just now, I got a 'you must restart' message (on
> 10.4.3 and 10.4.4) doing a save in textmate to a samba-mounted
> drive. [...]

TextMate uses setxattr() to save meta data for files.

Apple's implementation of this function is unfortunately broken (as
to cause kernel panics) for at least AFS, NFS, and MS-DOS (e.g. used
with USB devices). But I have not had any reports for SMB -- but
likely that is what happens for you.

There are two options, either to disable the use of setxattr
completely [1]:

    defaults write com.macromates.textmate
OakDocumentDisableFSMetaData 1

Or you can enable my custom replacement for setxattr on the affected
file system [2]:

    defaults write com.macromates.textmate \
       OakDocumentCustomFSMetaData '( smbfs, afpfs, nfs, msdos )'

[1] http://macromates.com/textmate/manual/
saving_files#extended_attributes_metadata
[2] http://macromates.com/textmate/manual/
expert_preferences#oakdocumentcustomfsmetadata