[TxMt] Trapping file open

John Fieber jfieber at slis.indiana.edu
Fri Feb 10 18:59:09 UTC 2006

On Feb 10, 2006, at 10:23 AM, Oscar Bonilla wrote:

> and then click on foo.c I get to see if foo.c is version controlled
> and then I check it out if it is. The version control system that I
> use (BitKeeper) has a 'get' mode that checks out the files read-
> only, and before editing you have to check them out in 'edit' mode.
> I have written a function in a bundle that does this, but I have to
> call it manually. I would like that to be automatic...

Sounds like perforce.  I would really NOT like that sort of automatic
behavior with perforce but I've never used BitKeeper so I don't know
if the same issues apply.

I WOULD like TextMate to warn if you try to edit a read-only file,
and if that could be hooked to perform an action, like a version
control operation.  It could be a sheet something like:

   ALERT! You just tried to change a file opened as read-only.

   { Make Writable }  { Cancel }

And if bundles had registered hooks, you might get some options in
the sheet like:

   Perforce  -> Checkout for edit
   BitKeeper -> Checkout for edit

-john