[TxMt] Tag Changed line

Trevor Harmon trevor at vocaro.com
Wed Feb 8 18:08:45 UTC 2006

On Feb 8, 2006, at 9:06 AM, Charilaos Skiadas wrote:

> But I am curious, how do you find this more useful than the diff
> functionality? I've never seen any editor do that, and I can't
> personally think of many use cases, nor have I seen anyone else ask
> this before.

I think it would be quite nice. For instance, I would like to see the
TextMate line numbers become bold (or highlighted or something
similar) whenever a line changes. Their state would then be reset
whenever a file is saved. It would be like having a more fine-grained
version of the "file changed" icon in the file's tab. That is, the
icon lets you easily see whether the file has changed, and the line
numbers would show where the file has changed.

As for a use case, sure, you could use the diff feature for finding
changes, but that's not the same thing. Diff is not real-time; it
requires you to open up a new window every time a change is made.
Patrick's idea would be much more convenient for when you're making
many small changes to a large file and simply want help tracking the
changes you've made. (In a way, it's kind of like the highlighting of
the current line. Not truly necessary, just a nice convenience.)

Trevor