[TxMt] Soft tabs / tabs <-> spaces

Andy Armstrong andy at hexten.net
Tue Feb 7 00:16:29 UTC 2006

On 6 Feb 2006, at 23:26, Sune Foldager wrote:
> On 06/02/2006, at 23:12, Charilaos Skiadas wrote:
>
>> Try leaving 7 characters on a soft-tabs-3spaces setting, and try
>> to use the arrow keys to move past it.
>
> For the OP: Another way to see it is insert a few tabs in soft tabs
> mode, switch to normal tab mode and see that they are indeed
> spaces. Regardless, they are saved as spaces if inserted with the
> tab key in soft tab mode. Switching mode will NOT convert anything
> either to or from, so do it with the menu commands if needed.

Yes, I got that soft tab mode treated runs of spaces as virtual tabs
- but I didn't appreciate the second bit about soft tab mode
inserting spaces. I've got it now, thanks :)

Now, if I could only turn off the funky virtual tab behaviour I'd be
completely happy. I'm not keen on cursor moves not reflecting what's
in the text.

--
Andy Armstrong, hexten.net