[TxMt] Soft tabs / tabs <-> spaces

Andy Armstrong andy at hexten.net
Mon Feb 6 21:52:13 UTC 2006

Sorry if this has come up before and sorry if I'm missing something
obvious...

I like to work with tab stops set to 4 characters and use spaces
rather than hard tabs for indentation - otherwise everything gets
messy when you process your file with something that expects 8 column
tabs.

Something seems a little counter-intuitive with the soft tabs setting
in TM. With Soft Tabs (Spaces) selected hitting tab still inserts a
hard tab character. Additionally with Soft Tabs selected Text >
Convert > Tabs to Spaces doesn't seem to do anything - it certainly
leaves plenty of tabs in the files. With Soft Tabs turned off I still
get hard tabs when I hit the tab key - but at least Tabs to Spaces
works.

This is in Perl mode - I haven't tried other modes yet but shall if
it's likely to make a difference.

So - what's the blindingly obvious solution I've missed? :)

--
Andy Armstrong, hexten.net