[TxMt] (no subject)

Brian Mitchell binary42 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 19:47:52 UTC 2006

On 2/6/06, Niels <noggin at mac.com> wrote:
> One suggestion: I think a split pane ala mail.app would be an improvement
> over the current drawer. Use of a drawer implies to me, an optional part of
> the interface, but when working on a project, the file list is hardly
> option, in my opinion. Is there any here that opens and closes the drawer
> repeatedly to access their project listing? A  drawer makes window resizing
> a two step operation -- you have to first position your window to
> accommodate your drawer before doing the resize.. Try it, you'll see what I
> mean. I think really, managing the use of space *inside* a window is much
> more natural than managing it outside.

There are some projects I use the drawer a lot but that is usually
when I am first becoming familiar with that project. Most of the time
cmd-t seems to do the trick for my navigation needs which often leads
to the drawer being closed. I often keep my drawers on the left side
for the resize reason you mentioned. Also, the width of my windows
usually fall far from maximum so I have plenty of space that I usually
do not worry about overlap problems (I can't stand having just one app
maximized -- I tend to multi-task more than one app allows -- it just
reminds me of badly designed apps that I used when still on windows..)

One secondary option that might be popular is to have the project tree
detached in its own floating window. It could be shared across
multiple projects too, if needed. I am sure there are plenty of other
ideas... but it will have to be up to Allan in the end.

Brian.