[TxMt] Shift-Tab to align a block of code

Sune Foldager cryo at cyanite.org
Thu Feb 2 16:10:42 UTC 2006

On 02/02/2006, at 5:58, Jim Leask wrote:

> Thanks for the info (to several who responded) This worked fine...
> However, I must say, I think this is one thing that the Mac didn't
> get right. (they got enough other stuff right that I never use my
> PC anymore though).  Using Tab and Shift-Tab to do a shift
> operation is much more sensible when a block of text is selected. I
> really don't find it useful at all to have a block of text deleted,
> then replaced by a tab, which is what happens now.

Incidentally, Allan finds that useful. I don't really, but I got used
to opt- quick enough :-).

> This is especially true when I select a vertical bar block of text
> (a block selection that runs vertically without including any
> characters at all). If you do this, and hit Tab, it (in my opinion)
> does the right thing of inserting a tab in front of all of the
> characters in the block, thereby shifting all characters to the
> right of this vertical block to the right. However, the Shift-Tab
> doesn't shift them back again....
> Is there a way to remap these keys to do this?

Well, this isn't really a matter of remapping, but of changing the
behaviour in the application. If you just remap tab to do this, you
lose the ability to insert normal tabs, as clearly keymaps don't
contain info such as "do this if block is selected, this otherwise".
So the shorter answer: No, unfortunately it can't really be done :-(.

-- Sune.