[TxMt] Newbie question on snippets

Carl Youngblood carl at youngbloods.org
Wed Feb 1 19:27:34 UTC 2006

I'm trying to maximize my use of textmate.  One of the first things
I'm doing is looking through the ruby bundle to see what snippets I
can use.  I first noticed the hash key/val snippet, which starts with
a colon.

The first thing it does is highlight the key so that I can type in a new key.

The next thing it does is highlight the sample string so that I can
type in something different.  However, I'm having trouble typing
something in at this point.  If I want to edit the string inside, is
there a key I can type that will put the caret inside the quotes?  If
want to edit the string contents, I have to move my cursor over then
back.  If I start typing, it erases the quotes.  If I type quotes, it
surrounds the quotes in another set of quotes.  Is this behavior there
because the snippet writer assumed I would not always want to put
strings in the hash buckets?  This is understandable, but as a
shortcut for creating symbol/string combinations it is actually quite
tedious.

I figured maybe I was missing some secret keyboard shortcut that would
put me inside a fresh set of empty quotes instead of the sample that
is highlighted.

Thanks,
Carl