[TxMt] [ANN] TeXMLMate 1.2

Todd Ditchendorf itod at mac.com
Sun Dec 31 01:50:41 UTC 2006

TeXMLMate 1.2 is out:

http://www.ditchnet.org/texmlmate/

First, validation against Schematron is now supported. If you haven't
seen schematron, I highly recommend reading about it here (it's the
bomb):

http://www.ldodds.com/papers/schematron_xsltuk.html

Second, there's now a checkbox in the UI for toggling sound on/off.
it's off by default. this clutters the ui a bit, but it was the least
crappy solution i could think of for now.

> - It only seems to recognize changes in the document after I have
> saved it

This is fixed. No more need to save your document before parsing --
TeXMLMate will pick up the most current text in the front most
window, saved or not. One caveat, you must save the document to disk
at least once (so libxml can have a base uri to work with).

> - It does not seem to recognize the Charset. I have some files with
> ISO-8859-1 which Textmate recognizes correctly but the plugin
> complains
> about some characters not being utf-8.

Er... this is kinda embarrassing, but Turns out that TeXMLMate 1.1 &
earlier had some *serious* encoding issues with non-ASCII text. For
XML software, that's really totally unacceptable.

I *think* I've got everything worked out... There are no UI
additions, but TeXMLMate should intelligently auto-discover (with or
without an encoding psuedo-attribute on the XML prolog/decl) any
encoding that TextMate is capable of saving your document in, and
handle it correctly when parsing. This sort of thing is , of course,
fully supported by libxml (which powers TeXMLMate), but frankly, I
was f*cking it up. :)

I encourage anyone with non-ASCII XML documents lying around to
please kick the tires on 1.2 and send me a quick note with a thumbs
up or brief bug report.

> Also it will complain about some entities if I don't tick "Load
> DTD". I
> could imagine that many people will want to validate XHTML, so I would
> make this ticked by default.

Agreed. this is now be the default.

A huge thanks to all who've sent feedback and bug reports. Response
for this little plugin has been *way* beyond what I expected, and
I'll def. be working on more features.

Thanks again,

Todd Ditchendorf

Scandalous Software - Cocoa Developer Tools
http://scan.dalo.us