[TxMt] Re: LaTeX testers needed

Charilaos Skiadas skiadas at hanover.edu
Sat Dec 23 13:05:17 UTC 2006

On Dec 23, 2006, at 11:42 AM, Helge Hartmann wrote:

>> How are you telling TextMate what the right path to use is? Did
>> you set the PATH variable in environment.plist or in TM, or neither?

> I never entered a PATH in TextMate or environment.plist
> I set my PATH variable in .bash_profile and never had any problems.
> I also can compile the Latex project from TextMate, so I think, my
> system should be allright.

Yes the compilation command never had any problems, because it does
not start with a shebang, and consequently TM does a lot of
preparation for it, including loading your various profile files.
However the other commands in the bundle, most of them in ruby, don't
get to see what you've set in any of your profile files, so they have
to somehow figure out what your PATH is. It's a long and complicated
problem.

(The key detail here is that GUI applications in general don't get to
see the shell profile files, I guess for security reasons or
something, or just because one assumes they wouldn't need to. Since
the ruby scripts we use inherit TextMate's environment, there's not
much there to begin with.)

I bet the only reason you do not see it when you use the label
completion command is because you were not including another file via
\include. The problem with having to use the tex binaries in the
other commands occurs only when the script has to figure out where
latex would look for the file you are including.

Try again with this latest update, though I'm not sure that it will
see your .bash_profile. Where are you tex binaries located by the
way? How did you install LaTeX?

Haris