[TxMt] LaTeX typesetting results different in Textmate, TeXshop, others

Holger Frauenrath mail at frauenrath.com
Thu Dec 21 18:31:55 UTC 2006

Hello everybody,

I noticed that the results of typesetting LaTeX files in Textmate
gives different results as compared to other TeX programs (TeXShop,
iTeXMac). In this particular case, a PDF graphic file was missing, in
which case, the TeX typesetting stops with a fatal error (at least, I
think that is what should happen), and no output is produced.

Accordingly, TeXing in TeXShop gives (as console output):

> LaTeX Warning: File `../Figures/polymerization_triamides.pdf' not
> found on input line 133.
>
> Error: /usr/local/teTeX/bin/i386-apple-darwin-current/pdflatex
> (file ../Figures
> /polymerization_triamides.pdf): cannot find image file
> ==> Fatal error occurred, the output PDF file is not finished!

... and no new PDF file. However, TeXing in Textmate gives:
> LaTeX Warning: File `../Figures/polymerization_triamides.pdf' not
> found on inpu
>
> Found 0 errors, and 60 warnings in 0 runs

... and a new PDF file with 0 pages which prompts PDFView to crash
upon trying to update. In other words, Textmate behaves as if there
was no error. What I find strange is that I thought that the console
output was entirely the responsibility of the TeX engine ... and I
have for sure only one TeX distribution installed. Are any parameters
passed to the TeX engine from Textmate that control this behavior? If
so, is there a reason for the current settings? Or what else could be
the reason?

On a side note, as you see in the example above all warnings are
truncated (no matter what size the console window is). Is there away
to avoid this?

Holger