[TxMt] Re: Problem with tm_dialog

Piero D'Ancona pierodancona at gmail.com
Thu Dec 14 20:33:28 UTC 2006

Haris, the Insert Label command is nice but difficult to use.
Let me explain.

First of all I must write by hand \ref{} or \eqref{}
and this could be improved as you say.

But the worse is that usually the number of labels
is quite high (50+ is common). When I invoke the
command, a very long list appears, and it is in
alphabetical order. I must scroll up and down to
locate the label I want; of course I do not remember
which one it is exactly, so it takes a long time to
find the right one.

You will say: I must write the initial letters of the
label so the list that appears is much shorter.
This is not a solution because:

1) this forces me to remember the beginning of
the right label: it takes even longer to remember
it, and it takes longer to write \eqref{firstletters...}
than to write the full label by hand

2) all of my labels start with eq: (I'm not alone I think)
Apparently, if I write eq: followed by some
letters the script does not work; maybe you check
for letters and digits only in the name?

Exactly to overcome these problems I proposed some
weeks ago a different mechanism based on
a semi-permanent html window. Would you like
to give a look to it? It's rudimentary but I used it
a little and it seems to be handier that the present
Insert Label command. Please tell me if you have the
time to check it, I think there is something useful
in it

Piero