[TxMt] PSTricks problem with LaTeX bundle

Aaron Jacobs aaronjjacobs at gmail.com
Sat Dec 9 08:12:07 UTC 2006

(This is my first time contributing, so please be gentle.)

I've found a problem (annoyance?) with the way that the `Typeset &
View (PDF)` command works in the LaTeX bundle.  I set
`TM_LATEX_COMPILER` to `latexmk.pl` so that I don't have to deal with
manually running BibTeX and all that, but I also use packages that
depend on PSTricks and thus don't work with pdfLaTeX.

The problem is that while the command normally looks for the presence
of `\usepackage{pstricks}` and then automatically uses `latex` instead
of `pdflatex` for typesetting if appropriate, this does not happen if
the compiler is set to `latexmk.pl`, since the rc file passed to the
latter says to use `pdflatex`.

I've attached a quick and dirty patch to tell `latexmk.pl` to typeset
to PostScript first if PSTricks is detected, which fixes the problem.
The patch also contains a modification to the PSTricks detection part
to add a search for the following packages which depend on it:

* [xyling] [1]
* [pst-asr] [2]
* [OTtablx] [3]

These are packages that I personally frequently use, and it's annoying
to have to manually do a `\usepackage{pstricks}` just for the sake of
telling TextMate it's being used.  There's probably a better way to
detect if *any* package uses PSTricks, but it would be cool if this
could be committed for now.  Feel free to consider that a completely
selfish request, though maybe there are a few other linguists who
would appreciate it. :-)

Aaron Jacobs

[1]: http://www.ling.uni-potsdam.de/~rvogel/xyling/
[2]: http://www.math.neu.edu/ling/tex/