[TxMt] BundleForge: time to start?

Rob McBroom textmate at skurfer.com
Fri Dec 8 17:49:33 UTC 2006

On Dec 8, 2006, at 10:52 AM, thomas Aylott wrote:

> Agreed.
> How do you suppose such a thing should work?

I like that it's Subversion based now. I ask myself: What do we want
that we don't currently have?

The main thing that comes to mind (which was recently discussed on
this list) is some sort of description and/or documentation for each
available bundle. I also would advocate some additional meta-data on
top of that. For example, it would be nice to have attributes that
allow you to see…

   * Bundles that are considered obsolete
   * Bundles that the developer considers to be a work in progress
and possibly
     not ready for prime time. "BETA", for lack of a better word.
   * Bundles that are included with TextMate by default (and of
these, perhaps
     even show which have been updated since the last TextMate
release?).

It might also be nice to know who "works on" each bundle, but I'm
wondering if we should purposely not make that information available
to those without "commit" access. The reason being that if you don't
know who does a particular bundle and are forced to take your
question to the entire list, there are a lot more eyes on the problem
and we'll probably end up with a more elegant solution in the end.

I realize there a folks with an aversion to Subversion :), so should
we do something to accommodate them or make them get with the
program? I was thinking we could have a post-commit hook that would
tar up a working copy of each bundle as it's updated. And maybe we
strip out the `.svn` directories first or maybe we don't. Seems to me
that if it's checked out a certain way and we leave the `.svn` dirs
in place, the person who downloads the tarball version could run `svn
update` on it at some later point if they wanted to. This would of
course be unrealistic if we stick with one huge repository for
everything (see below).

I'd be curious to hear what those with commit access think is missing.

> I like how the official repo is a single svn server.
> But if bundleForge is only a single repo, then everyone has access
> to all of of the bundles.

 From what I know of Subversion, a single server with multiple
repositories could be "transparent" to all the clients doing
checkouts, but it could be an access control nightmare depending on
how fine-grained you want to make it. Is there a reason that there's
currently only one repository?

---
Rob McBroom
<http://www.skurfer.com/>
I didn't "switch" to Apple... my OS did.