[TxMt] math bundle feature request

Charilaos Skiadas skiadas at hanover.edu
Fri Dec 8 15:28:28 UTC 2006

On Dec 8, 2006, at 8:31 AM, janssen at ccr.jussieu.fr wrote:
> Shouldn't these things made to work
> under (well may be not all but) most language settings? If I was
> fluent in
> Applescript I would certainly contribute (Perhaps Xmas time is just
> the right
> time to change my current knowledge iof 'languages').

In some sense this is really a shortcoming of AppleScript. No
developer should possibly have to know what name a menu item shows to
the user, really. Just supporting a couple more languages is not the
answer, this is really something that AppleScript should be fixing,
and it's not likely to happen I'm afraid.

In general, AppleScript is really a last resort. We really don't want
to be using it to communicate with R, but we haven't found another
simple and clear way to do that.

It is really very slow, and for simple math calculations I would
really recommend the Ruby or the bc way. Btw did you try the Ruby
command? If so, what were its shortcomings, that made it unsuitable
for what you want to do?

> JJ

Haris