[TxMt] math bundle feature request

Charilaos Skiadas skiadas at hanover.edu
Fri Dec 8 03:22:33 UTC 2006

On Dec 7, 2006, at 7:07 PM, janssen at ccr.jussieu.fr wrote:

>> I personally use R for such things. You need to basically have
>> R.app  running on already for the shift-cmd-R thing to work, but
>> then it  does. And for your purposes, you can copy the command and
>> modify it  so that the output is set to replace selection.
>> (Actually come to  think of it, that would be a nice addition)
>
> May be you can, but not me!

Ok, here is the best I can do for now, with Eridius's help: Create a
textmate command that has input "Selected Text or Line", and output:
"Replace Selected Text". The text of the command should be the
following 8 lines:

#!/usr/bin/env ruby
include Math
class Float
	def inspect
		"%.#{ENV['TM_CALC_PREC'] || 3}f" % self
	end
end
print(eval(STDIN.read).inspect)

this should be improved, but it is a start. It will not do integer
division properly unless you coerce it:
2/3=0, 2.0/3=0.667

You can use all the commands found here:
http://www.ruby-doc.org/core/classes/Math.html
without having to write the Math in front. Examples:
cos(2.6)  -> -0.836
log(3.4) ->  1.224
etc.
You can adjust it by defining the TM_CALC_PREC variable to your
desired number of precision (defaults to 3). Hopefully we can come up
with something more robust etc etc, but this might serve most modest
needs, and it is very fast.

Needless to say, you should bind this to your favorite shortcut.
Haris