irc uri (was Re: [TxMt] Re: Screenwriting Bundle / Looking for Help)

Grant Hollingworth grant at antiflux.org
Thu Dec 7 17:34:26 UTC 2006

* Jacob Rus <jrus at hcs.harvard.edu> [2006-12-06 17:24]:
>irc://irc.freenode.net/##textmate

I hardly ever see IRC URIs, so I tried this one.  open(1) doesn't like it because it's not actually valid: the '#' is reserved as the fragment delimiter, so when open sees two of them it decides the URI must actually be a file name.

Encoding gives the uglier irc://irc.freenode.net/#%23textmate.  Actually, the channel name isn't a fragment, so it should really be irc://irc.freenode.net/%23%23textmate.

Ugly, but it works.

And yes, I realize I just posted this to a thread about off-topic posts.