[TxMt] another PATH question (well, sort of)

Rob McBroom textmate at skurfer.com
Thu Dec 7 17:05:21 UTC 2006

I got a new machine recently and one of the first things I installed
was obviously TextMate. This was before I had installed anything in
(or even created) `/usr/local`. I realized this when TextMate offered
to create the `mate` symlink in `/usr/bin`. No big deal. I declined,
created `/usr/local/bin`, and started TextMate again. It still wanted
to put the link in `/usr/bin` and `/usr/local/bin` didn't appear on
the drop-down list. So, I just choose "Other…" and specified a path.
Still no big deal. It's a one-time operation after all.

But yesterday, I tried to use the Subversion bundle for the first
time on the new machine and it couldn't find `svn`. I typed `echo
$PATH` and hit ⌃R and saw that `/usr/local/bin` hadn't made it to
this list either (while it does appear on another machine I've been
using for a while).

Now, I know I can fix these problems one at a time as they come up
(specify a path for `mate`, set a path in `$TM_SVN`, etc) but I'd
rather not do that. Plus there may be other ramifications that aren't
obvious and I won't know they need fixing. This applies to newly
created users as well, so it seems to be a global thing, but I can't
figure out where. I see nothing in `/Library` that would affect
TextMate and I know Allan has a rule about the app not modifying
itself in `/Applications`.

Does anyone know how to make TextMate generally/globally aware that `/
usr/local/bin` exists now (as though it existed the first time I ran
TextMate)? Thanks in advance.

---
Rob McBroom
<http://www.skurfer.com/>
I didn't "switch" to Apple... my OS did.