[TxMt] Re: Screenwriting Bundle / Looking for Help

Jacob Rus jrus at hcs.harvard.edu
Thu Dec 7 00:23:09 UTC 2006

Oliver Taylor wrote:
> I'm looking for help implementing a few features for my screenwriting
> bundle.
>
> The features I'm looking to implement are beyond my knowledge, but I'm
> sure will be trivial to a ruby-master or something. So if you're
> interested in helping me out, please drop me a line and I'll explain
> what I want to do.
>
> The reason I don't just ask you how to do these things is that I'm
> afraid they might be too basic for this list.
>
> I've always wondered about what kinds of questions are appropriate for
> this list. I'm hesitant to ask basic code questions regarding things I'm
> trying to do in TextMate but have nothing to do with TextMare per-se;
> for example, a complex regexp problem one might have.
>
> Clearly we don't want this list to become littered with help requests
> for things that are not directly TextMate-related. But at the same time,
> I would never have been able to create the bundle I have without the
> patient explanations of so many of the people on this list.
>
> So my question is, where is the line? I'd be curious to know what you
> all think.

I have 2 answers for you.

1. Hop onto IRC.  Someone will be able to help you in real-time, and it
will be much more effective than the mailing list.  The channel you want
is ##textmate on irc.freenode.net.  Colloquy is a pretty decent IRC
client if your needs are basic (like mine).

irc://irc.freenode.net/##textmate

2. If the question is about building a TextMate bundle, particularly one
that you will release to other users, please ask any and all questions
on the list (as long as they don't stray too far off topic).  I.e. as
long as the S/N ratio stays high, an extra few emails helping better
bundles get created is all to the good.  Bundle creation is directly
TextMate related, so go ahead and ask away!

-Jacob